At approximately 8:00pm on December 6, 2016 the Flagstaff Fire Department responded several units to the 800 block of S. Ash for a report of smoke and flames showing from the chimney area of the home. First arriving units encountered a working fire in the attic of the home and quickly made entry to the second story to begin extinguishment efforts. All of the occupants of the home had evacuated safely after noticing smoke beginning to fill the home.
Crews on scene were able to extinguish the blaze in the attic and kept it from spreading to the rest of the residence. No FFD personnel or civilians were injured as a result of the fire and the home had working smoke detectors.
A mutual aid request was made to have units from Highlands Fire Department and Summit Fire and Medical Department cover calls within City limits during the incident.
The fire is currently under investigation and appears to have been started in the attic area around the chimney.
The FFD recommends having chimneys cleaned annually by a certified technician.